The following contains rules pertaining to LLCF’s low-magic alternative to potions—drugs—which players and GMs may decide whether or not to include in their game.
When a drug is administered, the administrator must determine how many doses they are using; the drug in the target’s system is then regarded to have a potency equal to the number of doses administered. If more doses are administered, the potency increases by that amount.
When first inflicted, and every exploration turn thereafter, the target character must make a standard check (Constitution) to purge it from their system. The player cannot opt out of this. On a success, the potency drops by 1. When potency reaches 0, it leaves the character’s system. If a drug is listed as “Hyperactive”, this check is made each combat round instead of each exploration turn.
If a drug is listed as “Addictive”, make a standard check (Constitution, Willpower) when the drug is administered. On a failure, increase the character’s addiction rating to the drug by 1. If the drug has not been administered to the character within the past day at a Potency at or above their addiction rating, they receive a penalty to all rolls. For every 7 days a character spends without having the drug in their system, their addiction rating is reduced by 1.
Each type of drug counts as a single object in the inventory, regardless of how many doses a character has.
- Adrenaline: Hyperactive, Addictive; bonus to all actions except those affected by Steadiness, penalty to all actions affected by Steadiness.
- Antidote: Hyperactive; bonus to purging Antidote, on a successful purge check, reduce the Potency of all other drugs in the character’s system by 1.
- Antitoxin: bonus to all purge checks except Antitoxin and Immunosuppressant.
- Alcohol: Addictive; bonus to checks affected by Might or Charisma, ignore 1 Injury, penalty to checks affected by Coordination, Endurance, Perception, or Steadiness; if Potency >6, treat as Neurotoxin.
- Analgesic: Addictive; ignore 1 Injury, penalty to checks affected by Coordination.
- Cannabinoid: bonus to checks affected by Creativity, Faith, or Empathy; penalty to checks affected by Might, Coordination, Reaction, or Perception.
- Detoxifier: On a successful purge roll, reduce your addiction rating to all drugs by 1.
- Immunosuppressant: penalty to all purge checks except Immunosuppressant and Antitoxin.
- Neurotoxin: Hyperactive; on a failed purge, take Fatigue; once unconsicious, the drug is no longer hyperactive and if a character fails their purge roll, they die.
- Poison: penalty to all actions.
- Psychedelic: Addictive; bonus to all rolls that can be affected by Might, penalty to all rolls affected by Perception or Empathy, experience hallucinations.
- Stimulant: Addictive; ignore 2 Fatigue; if Potency >6, penalty to all actions affected by Steadiness.
- Tranquilizer: Hyperactive; on a failed purge, take Fatigue; once unconscious, the drug is no longer Hyperactive and Fatigue is not taken on a failed purge; the character cannot wake until the drug is out of their system.