Every PC has a list of Aptitudes – areas they excel in. Basic aptitudes cost 1 Luck each and assist a PC in completing actions (more details in the next section, Actions and Combat); Special Aptitudes provide other bonuses. Each Aptitude is defined below and can only be taken once.
In the Special Aptitudes list, two things are listed in parentheses after the title of the aptitude: The luck cost and any prerequisites. If prerequisites are separated by plus signs (+), they require all listed aptitudes; if they are separated by commas, they require only one of the listed aptitudes. Some Special Aptitudes are categorized by effect.
- Appearance: Add 1 to any roll where someone can be influenced by an attractive face
- Bravery: Add 1 to any roll to resisting fear
- Brawling: Add 1 to any roll involving punching, kicking, or grappling
- Charisma: Add 1 to any roll where someone can be influenced by a forceful personality
- Constitution: Add 1 to injury rolls or resisting physical ailments such as poison and disease
- Coordination: Add 1 to any roll involving coordination of the body, such as a weapon swing, tumbling, or balancing
- Creativity: Add 1 to any roll involving coming up with unique ideas or concepts for works of art
- Dexterity: Add 1 to any roll involving fine motor movements of the hands, such as picking locks and pockets
- Empathy: Add 1 to any roll to attempt to understand how another person is feeling or whether they are lying
- Endurance: Add 1 to any roll to stay awake or push through exhaustion
- Faith: Add 1 to any roll to appeal to a higher power or in dealing with a religious individual
- Flexibility: Add 1 to any roll involving bending of the whole body, such as fitting into a tight spot
- Hearing: Add 1 to any roll involving attempting to hear noises that are not immediately obvious
- Intellect: Add 1 to any roll to retain information after learning it (adding to knowledge list)
- Logic: Add 1 to any roll attempting to discern the meaning of codes or process incomplete information
- Might: Add 1 to any roll involving physical strength or brute force
- Perception: Add 1 to any roll involving processing sensory information
- Reaction: Add 1 to any roll to determine if a character can react to something in due time
- Sanity: Add 1 to any roll to avoid being affected by trauma
- Smell: Add 1 to any roll involving tasting or smelling something
- Speech: Add 1 to any roll for talking in a stressful situation
- Speed: Add 1 to any roll that has to do with moving (not reacting) quickly
- Steadiness: Add 1 to any roll that requires a steady hand or body
- Vision: Add 1 to any roll involving being able to see something that is not immediately obvious or to see something far away
- Willpower: Add 1 to any roll requiring the character’s force of will, such as remaining calm
Special Aptitudes (WIP)
- Influence (2L; 2 of Charisma, Speech, Willpower): When influencing people, roll twice and take the higher result
- Inspiration (1L; Charisma + Speech + Willpower OR Influence): At the cost of 1 Action, you may give any character a Bonus of 1 to all rolls for their Turn
- Mindfulness (2L; Sanity + Willpower): Add 1 to any roll to not be effected by emotion
- Packing (1L; Might): Increase max carrying capacity from 6 items to 7
- Persistence (3L; Bravery + Willpower): Except in a time-sensitive situation, you may attempt an action a second time
- Stoneface (1L; Appearance, Charisma, Sanity, Willpower): Add 1 to any roll where hiding emotions can be to the character’s advantage
All the aptitudes listed herein increase the number of actions a character can take in a turn.
- Carrier (1L; Might + Speed): When pushing or pulling a target from the Area you are in to an adjacent Area, you may move to that Area in the same Action
- Deft (2L; Reaction + Speed): Take 1 additional action on your Combat Turn
- Dual Wield (2L; Coordination + Dexterity): A character can effectively wield 2 weapons simultaneously, and is capable of attacking with each weapon once (thereby having two attacks) the first time they Attack in a turn
- Opportunist (1L; Coordination + Reaction): Once per Combat Round, when another character moves out of the Area you are in, you may attack them
All the aptitudes listed herein reduce the character’s chances of getting hit, or reduce the chances of dying from being hit.
- Dodge (1L; Speed + Reaction + Coordination): When locked in combat, the roll is counted as tied if your opponent is only 1 above your roll
- Fortuitous (2L; Might): Add 1 to Defense when wearing any Armor
- Resolve (2L; 2 of Might, Willpower, Faith, Constitution): Increase your Constitution rolls by 1
- Tough Skin (2L; Might + Constitution): Increase your Defense threshold by 1
All the aptitudes listed herein increase the character’s ability to perceive their surroundings.
- Extra-Sensory Perception (2L; Perception): Obscured areas do not incur the usual penalty
- Low-Light Vision (2L; Vision): Treat dark Areas as dim and dim Areas as bright
- Sensitive Nose (1L; Smell): You can taste and smell things that are generally considered tasteless or odorless (poisons, etc.)
All the aptitudes listed herein increase the character’s ability to move around effectively
- Climb (2L; Might + Coordination): The threshold of all climbing attempts are reduced by 2 (assuming recommended thresholds are used)
- High Jump (3L; Might): You may travel up 1 Area into the air; if there is nowhere in that Area for you to stand, you fall to the Area below at the end of the Round, taking the appropriate damage
- Long Jump (2L; Sprint): You may travel up to 2 horizontal Areas away without solid ground, if there is nowhere in that Area for you to stand, you fall to the Area below at the end of the Round, taking the appropriate damage
- Soft Fall (2L; 2 of Constitution, Coordination, Flexibility, Might): When taking fall damage, take one less Injury
- Sprint (1L; Speed): The first time you move Areas in a turn, you may move 2 Areas instead of 1
- Wall Jump (2L; Might + Speed + Coordination): Provided there are two walls deemed close enough together, you can attempt jumping back and forth between them to reach high-up places
- Wall Run (2L; Speed + Coordination): You may travel 1 Area (2 Areas if you have the Sprint aptitude) across a pit or into the air, provided there is a wall connecting it and the Area you are in; if there is nowhere in the target Area you can stand, you fall to the Area below at the end of the Round, taking the appropriate damage
All the aptitudes listed herein increase a character’s chances to hit, increase their chance of killing something they’ve hit, or add effects to their hits.
- Crippling Shot (2L; Vision + Steadiness): Upon inflicting and Injury on an enemy with a Ranged (not Thrown) Weapon, they suffer the effects of the Knockdown combat action
- Crowd Control (1L; Weapon + Might, Weapon + Vision): When using a weapon in the weapon category chosen upon taking Weapon that has an FTM, +1 FTM; requirements are those of Deadly Weapon
- Deadly Strike (2L; Brawling + Power Strike): Unarmed strikes gain +0 ITM
- Deadly Weapon (2L; Weapon + Might, Weapon + Vision): When using a weapon in the weapon category chosen upon taking Weapon that has an ITM, +1 ITM; if Weapon required Coordination, Might is required, otherwise, Vision is required
- Fake Out (2L; 2 of Coordination, Reaction, Steadiness): You may attack a locked opponent even when there are still unlocked opponents in the area you are in
- Power Strike (1L; Brawling): Unarmed strikes gain+2 FTM
- Power Throw (2L; Might + Coordination): Upon inflicting an Injury on an enemy with a Thrown Weapon, they suffer the effects of the Knockdown combat action
- Weapon (2L; Coordination, Steadiness): Choose a weapon category, when using a weapon in that category, +1 to hit; when choosing any weapon category capable of melee, Coordination is required, otherwise, Steadiness is required; this Aptitude cannot be taken twice, but PCs can change their category by burning 1 Luck – they still must have the appropriate aptitude
All the aptitudes listed herein relate to non-combative survival.
- Addiction Resistance (2L; Constitution + Willpower): +1 to rolls to resist addiction.
- Circadian (1L; Endurance, Willpower): You may go 8 Timeframes without taking fatigue rather than 6
- Digestion (1L; Constitution): You may go 5 days without a full meal instead of 3 without taking any penalties
- Heavy Sleep (1L; Constitution): You need only sleep for 1 Timeframe rather than 2 to remain properly alert and awake; cannot be taken with Light Sleep
- Immunity (1L; Constitution): +1 to all drug resistance rolls
- Light Sleep (1L; Perception): You may make rolls to notice things happening around you while sleeping; cannot be taken with Heavy Sleep
- Slowed Metabolism (1L; Constitution): Drug resistance rolls are made after double the normal time.